• The Stuff You Need to Know RSS Feed

Get great daily deals at SolidSignal.com
    by Published on 11-27-2017 08:44 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Cell Phones

It's only recently that people have started to ask me about supposed "cell phone booster cases" that claim to improve cell reception without the expense of a full cell booster solution. My first thought was that they were a scam, just a new take on those gold stickers that never worked. After all, a cell phone booster uses a lot of power, and some of these cases aren't even powered. Cellular signal boosters are expensive, because they have powerful signal processors. They're FCC-approved because they actually broadcast and receive signals. A lot of those cases aren't any of those things.

So, my thought was to buy a bunch of these cases, test them, and make a video. And then I found that my well-funded compatriots over at weBoost beat me to it. And I'm not ashamed to say they did a great job of it. They saved me some time too, because (spoiler alert) those cases don't actually work. If you don't believe me, watch the video above.

If you're really interested in a cellular signal booster that works, check out the great selection of products at SolidSignal.com.
    by Published on 11-26-2017 01:27 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

One of our trainees asked me the other day, "what is DIRECTV 7S?" and it's a good question, because it's not a term that most of the DIRECT faithful, even the more tech-oriented, tend to use. But it's actually pretty simple.

DIRECTV 7S is the name of the satellite DIRECTV uses at its 119 degree location. It's a Space Systems LS-1300 that's been was launched in 2004 and has been in service ever since. It's been used to provide local channels and commercial programming to DIRECTV customers, and it's coming to the end of its operational life in 2019.

The 119 satellite location is shared with DISH and others and DIRECTV licensed it for use at a time before they were able to obtain licenses for the 99 and 103 satellite locations, which do a better job of serving the continental US. (For reference, 119 degrees is slightly west of San Diego, while 99 and 103 are right over the middle of the US.) It's not the best location for satellite TV and that's one of the reasons that there is no plan to replace DIRECTV 7S with anything else at that location.

Most of the time, we refer to DIRECTV 7S as "the 119 satellite." It's exactly the same thing. After 2019, we won't refer to it at all. It will be moved to a parking orbit where it will eventually decay or where eventually, we'll put a spaceship in charge of cleaning up all the old junk that's accumulating up there.
    by Published on 11-26-2017 11:26 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Commercial,
    3. TV Antennas

Yes, this is an antenna. I know it looks like a broken umbrella in the picture, but it's an antenna. It's probably not one you'd need but trust me, it's an antenna.

This particular antenna is optimized to receive four very specific frequencies that are used by public and governmental agencies (first responders and the like.) The frequencies it picks up can only be received by something like a police scanner.

I'll tell you though, if you need an antenna for your city's base station or hospital's dispatch network, you're going to need something weird like this. And let me tell you, you won't find it at the local drugstore and you probably won't even find it at the world's biggest online retailer. But you will find it at SolidSignal.com, because we have over 31,000 parts available. About half of them can't be found on any other online retailer's site. If it's hard to find, you'll find it at Solid Signal.

If you have a specific need, whether it's a cellular antenna that picks up Sprint's weird signals or a TV antenna that's designed to pick up just one channel or a Wi-Fi antenna that will let you get signals from 15 miles away, there's just one place to look and it's SolidSignal.com. Even better, give us a call at 877.312.4547 and we'll help you find exactly what you need!
    by Published on 11-25-2017 04:20 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

DIRECTV NOW’s live TV service
    now has more than 200 local affiliates. This puts DIRECTV NOW in contention for the second streaming service with the most local TV channels.

AT&T recently released a complete list of local TV affiliates available on DIRECTV NOW’s live TV app. We’ve been reporting on this for a while now, but it’s always been a few TV channels here and a few more there. Never before have we listed all of the live TV affiliates on DIRECTV NOW… until now. If you’ve been thinking about getting DIRECTV NOW but weren’t sure how many local TV channels you would get, we have the ultimate list for you. ...
    by Published on 11-25-2017 05:00 AM

Check out all the great stuff at SolidSignal.com this week and keep watching for some great "Cyber Monday" surprises in just two days!

Seriously, folks, I can't say enough how we appreciate our customers. We're really not that big of an operation and yet thanks to all of you we've grown and changed for 15 years. It's always a pleasure to serve you, and I hope we can keep growing for another 15 years! Maybe eventually we'll be too big to even be called a small business!
    by Published on 11-24-2017 04:49 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

In case you haven't heard, the new Genie 2
    is DIRECTV's latest and greatest. Looking like a triangular tower, it turns all the rules of DIRECTV upside down. The central device doesn't put out a TV signal at all -- the Mini Clients and smart TVs do that -- but it takes the place of a DVR, power inserter, Wireless Video Bridge and Cinema Connection ...
    by Published on 11-24-2017 03:49 PM
    Article Preview

There's a building near our West Coast Operations Center that used to be a bank. Not just any bank, but one of those serious banks that used to dominate small town America. It was the "first bank of" something-or-other. It's funny how ...
    by Published on 11-24-2017 10:25 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

It's the top of the line. DIRECTV's Genie 2 gives you capabilities you never thought a DVR would have. Cover up to 7 rooms and get rid of wires and boxes that you never really understood anyway. It even gives you live 4K programming in up to 2 rooms.

But as glamorous as it is, DIRECTV refers to it by a ...
    by Published on 11-24-2017 09:45 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

What a relief. According to the shortest press release ever, DISH and CBS have kissed and made up. I mean seriously, this is what DISH wrote:
    by Published on 11-23-2017 05:22 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

Updated for 2017!

Ah, the eternal struggle. Is it better to have an easy installation or to have some ability to upgrade in the future? It's hard to know, but once you make the decision, it's hard to change.

DIRECTV's been using the SWM system for about four years to make installations easier ...
    by Published on 11-23-2017 04:01 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas,
    3. Satellite
    Article Preview

You hear us saying it over and over again: If you're hooking up cable or satellite, stay away from cables with molded ends. If an installer comes and sees you using them, he'll replace them on the spot. When people come to our live chat or call us on the phone with problems, that's one of the first things ...

Page 6 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12