• The Stuff You Need to Know RSS Feed

iPhone X or Galaxy S8 - Get ready with a Wireless Charging Pad

I've seen the future, and it's wireless. Obviously. Who wants wires? read on

Are your Genie clients rebooting a lot? Don't worry

When you turn on your DIRECTV Genie Mini Clients, are you greeted read on

BONUS Streaming Saturday: Cancel CBS All Access Right Now!

I'm taking the reins of Streaming Saturday to give you an important read on

STREAMING SATURDAY: AT&T, DIRECTV NOW Continues to Evolve

Good news, streamers! AT&T announces three exciting improvements for read on

FCC makes a move toward ATSC 3.0

Here come the commenters. In a decision released yesterday, the FCC read on

Is there an omnidirectional TV antenna that gets signals from 75 miles away?

Quick answer: no. So why not? It's not because it's technically read on

FUN FRIDAY: Pardon that Turkey

One of the sillier White House traditions involves pardoning a turkey read on

Windows 10 - has it really almost been 2.5 years?

I had to look it up, but Windows 10 was released in late July, 2015. read on

What to do if your NiteCore Tip flashlight turns off after 30 seconds

I love this little NiteCore Tip Tactical Flashlight. I did not expect read on

HBO and Cinemax Free Preview on DIRECTV this weekend

Everyone on DIRECTV gets to watch Night of Too Many Stars, airing read on

Any news on over-the-air 4K TV?

Well here we are folks, it's almost 2018 and for those people who got read on

DIRECTV to get rid of receivers by 2020?

If you believe the rumor mill and out-of-context statements from read on

THROWBACK THURSDAY: "Portable" DIRECTV

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most read on

NICE AND EASY: What does A3 mean in the DIRECTV guide?

Maybe you've seen it in your guide. Some of the channels have a read on

You're safer with a cellular booster system

For over 20 years, the cell phone has been an indispensible part of read on

Ken Reid is over and Dunn (and Raskin)

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and read on
    by Published on 11-19-2017 01:18 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Misc. Gadgets,
    3. Cell Phones

I've seen the future, and it's wireless. Obviously. Who wants wires? Although wireless charging has been around since 2010 (and we have the embarrassing video to prove it) it's finally taking off now that both Apple and Samsung have embraced the Qi wireless charging standard.

Wireless charging isn't such a hard thing to do, you just pump enough power through something and it will transfer to something else over a very small distance. The trick is doing it safely, making sure that power's only being transferred when needed, and keeping heat buildup to a minimum so nothing explodes (cough Samsung cough.) The Qi standard is already proven and you'll find it everywhere from cars to coffeeshops... and of course at Solid Signal.

You'll want to get a Qi charging mat for your desk at work and anywherethat you lay your phone for a long period of time. Although Qi charging is slower than regular charging, it's still better than no charging at all. If your car doesn't have one built in, you'll probably want one for your car too, if there's a place you can put the phone without it sliding all around all over the place.

Because the Qi standard has been around for a while, you'll find a great selection of charging pads and mats at SolidSignal.com right now, even though Apple is only just now jumping in. The new iPhones will drive a lot of people to wireless charging, but the Samsung crowd has been there for a while already, of course.

Shop now!
    by Published on 11-19-2017 12:31 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

When you turn on your DIRECTV Genie Mini Clients, are you greeted with a blue screen that says "Updating" or "Flashing the update?" This was a pretty rare occurrence until recently. Occasionally you'd wake up in the middle of the night to a flashing light, or you'd get a message that your client was in power saver mode after 4 hours of inactivity, but that's about all you got. Lately a lot of users have been reporting not only reboots but also the blue screen when they turn it on.

If your Genie Mini Client reboots in the middle of the night, or if it's on when you know you shut it off, or even if you get a blue screen, this is perfectly normal. DIRECTV is rolling out a whole new user interface for its Genie DVRs and it's required several rounds of updates, especially for the C61K 4K Genie Mini. This new menu system is DIRECTV's biggest change in half a decade so it's taking a lot of work to identify and squash bugs as they come.

My guess is, everything will settle down in a month or two after the rollout is complete. In the meantime, all I can say is enjoy the light show.
    by Published on 11-18-2017 02:44 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

I'm taking the reins of Streaming Saturday to give you an important public service announcement. If you've signed up for CBS All Access just so you can watch Star Trek Discovery then it's time to cancel it, at least for now. Discovery won't be back until January 7, 2018 and unless you like watching ...
    by Published on 11-18-2017 10:10 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Good news, streamers!
    AT&T announces three exciting improvements for its DIRECTV NOW streaming service.

Since becoming part of the AT&T family of companies, DIRECTV NOW continues to evolve and improve. With three major announcements, this week is a big one for the satellite streaming service. The company has three major ...
    by Published on 11-17-2017 03:12 PM

One of the sillier White House traditions involves pardoning a turkey on Thanksgiving. As we get closer to the day itself, it should be interesting to see how this tradition is reinterpreted for a new administration.

The White House itself gives a brief history
    of turkey pardons starting with President Lincoln's possibly made-up first pardon. Things really swing into full speed, though, with President George HW Bush, who used the word "pardon" for the first time in the media. Before then it was always an unofficial thing.

I think that regardless of your party affiliation, you'll be looking at this President with great interest in the next few days, to see how the turkey pardon goes. I know I will.
    by Published on 11-17-2017 12:09 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas
    Article Preview

Here come the commenters. In a decision released yesterday, the FCC decided to allow ATSC 3.0 broadcasts so long as the content is exactly the same as regular broadcast content. This is a move designed to move the "Next Generation TV Standard" ahead in a way that doesn't require lengthy approvals.

And trust me, I've heard from a lot of you saying "see, you were wrong, 4K TV is just around the corner." Yeah, you believe ...
    by Published on 11-17-2017 10:31 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

Everyone on DIRECTV gets to watch Night of Too Many Stars, airing this weekend on HBO. That's only on small bit of the massive amount of entertainment on channels 501-520, all available to you starting today and going through Monday, November 20. It's a good chance to see that HBO is more than just those pirated copies of Game of Thrones that you get from some dicey source. It's actually all about original series, concerts, sports, and of course the movies you didn't want to pay to see in the theater this summer.

The whole HBO and Cinemax on demand selection is available too, and anything you record onto your DVR should be available after the free preview is over. There's an opportunity to get literally hundreds of hours of free entertainment, which ought to serve you well considering that most of the scripted shows you watch have already gone on early-winter hiatus.

Don't forget that you can set recordings from the DIRECTV App for smartphones and tablets too, so if you're reading this at work, better take a moment to see what's available to record today before the boss sees you.
    by Published on 11-16-2017 04:48 PM

[size=5]Learn how tomake sure your DIRECTV hardware is working right. This video is for the new DIRECTV interface that rolled out in 2017 and 2018. For older DIRECTV equipment, watch this video instead: Solid Signal shows you how to test your DIRECTV receiver! - YouTube[/video]
    by Published on 11-16-2017 02:03 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

If you believe the rumor mill and out-of-context statements from people like AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, the writing's on the wall for satellite, and for DIRECTV's own branded receivers. Of course, Mr. Stephenson didn't say that exactly, but the rumor-mongers on the web love to take one word and stretch it out ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7