• The Stuff You Need to Know RSS Feed

by Published on 09-11-2017 10:39 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

If you’re considering cutting the cord, DIRECTV NOW keeps looking like a great option. This week, some important improvements have come to the streaming service.

DIRECTV NOW might be considered new, but this streaming service continues to evolve. A week doesn’t go by without some news about DIRECTV’s streaming-only option. This week is no exception. ...
    by Published on 09-11-2017 09:50 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Commercial,
    3. Cell Phones,
    4. Satellite,
    5. Data/Networks,
    6. Online/MobileTV

Call it a slow news day. I got this press release from AT&T and I figured I would share it with you. Randall Stephenson is "the top person" at AT&T, and anytime he speaks, he's going to make some sort of wave, even if it's not a very big one. This time tomorrow he'll be speaking at something called the "Goldman Sachs Communicopia Conference" which sounds like a great excuse for very wealthy people to get together and use all sorts of acronyms none of us understand.

But hey, if you're bored you might want to check it out. I'll share the press release with you all and you can see if it's your cup of tea. Nice thing is... it's free, at least to listen. I have to imagine you'd pay a lot if you actually went.

AT&T will webcast a presentation by Randall Stephenson, AT&T Inc. chairman and chief executive officer, at the 26th Annual Goldman Sachs Communacopia Conference in New York City on Tuesday, Sept. 12. The event is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. ET.

The webcast will be available live and for replay at AT&T Investor Relations. We recommend viewers start the webcast a few minutes before the planned start time in case the conference schedule changes.
    by Published on 09-10-2017 11:41 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas
    Article Preview

This Winegard Metrostar is a great little antenna. It can pull in signals from 25-30 miles away in every direction at once. It's perfect for urban dwellers, because the closer you are to the broadcast towers, the more likely it is that you'll need to point in several directions ...
    by Published on 09-10-2017 11:09 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

I don't blame you if you want all new hardware. Then again I don't blame DIRECTV for refurbishing receivers and sending them out again. The average receiver can be used in an average scenario for 5-8 years but a lot of receivers are returned after only two, either because a contract has come up or because the customer upgrades it. If DIRECTV didn't have a refurbishing program, costs for receivers would be sky-high, and remember that most DIRECTV hardware goes out to customers at low or no cost.

Unfortunately, paying full price to get a DIRECTV box doesn't guarantee it won't be a refurb. In some cases, there is nothing out there but refurbished hardware, and in some cases there is just so much refurbished hardware out there that it's not likely you'll get something "new." DIRECTV doesn't even distinguish between new and refurbished hardware in inventory, which makes it hard for Solid Signal to be sure of what you'll get, short of looking at the actual manufacturing stickers on the receivers themselves.

As of this writing, in September 2017, these are the only DIRECTV receivers that are going out new at all (and there is still a chance of getting a refurb:

HS17 "Genie 2" Home Server DVR
    HR54 "Genie" DVR
    C61 Genie Mini Client
    C61K 4K Genie Mini Client

I'm not saying you WILL get a new receiver if you choose one of those parts, only that if you choose any other receiver you're definitely getting a refurb. This includes all the other DVRs offered by DIRECTV, even the HR44 Genie.

If you get a refurbished box, this doesn't automatically mean it's bad. In fact most refurbished hardware from DIRECTV lives long and happy lives after being refurbished. If there were a huge epidemic of bad refurbs out there, DIRECTV would be losing money and losing customers. It wouldn't be worth it. Sure, there are sometimes a few clunkers but if this happens, usually the hardware can be replaced without cost to you if it happens soon after activation. At any rate it's going to be less than $20 to replace a broken receiver at any point in its life, due to the lease structure DIRECTV employs.

If you get hardware from DIRECTV, look for a sticker that has the model number. If the model number (usually something like HR54-500) has an R or a NC after it, that's a refurbished box. Most of the time that sticker is the only way you can tell for sure.
    by Published on 09-09-2017 04:41 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas
    Article Preview

This doesn't seem like it should work. But sometimes it does. If you're having problems getting the great reception you want from your antenna, try aiming it waaaaay off axis. Like, try rotating it 90 degrees from the towers. When you do this, you'll ...
    by Published on 09-09-2017 08:44 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Your friendly neighborhood Netflix cheerleader thinks that the streaming giant sucks at the moment. And it all has to do with Gypsy

Are you a fan of Netflix’s original series Gypsy? If so, be prepared for a sucker punch straight to the gut! Netflix recently announced that it cancelled this amazingly unique series. This happened just six weeks after ...
    by Published on 09-08-2017 12:32 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

The internet is abuzz with news of the DIRECTV Genie 2. It's DIRECTV's latest gamechanger DVR, with the ability to store over 450 hours of HD content and support two 4K TVs at once. It does other tricks, too.

If you're thinking of upgrading to this new DVR, you may be asking if ...
    by Published on 09-08-2017 12:14 PM

This whole time, I thought yo-yoing was a lost art. None of the children I know can do it, some of the adults I know can't yo, and I myself haven't yo'd in longer than I can remember.

I just thought the yo-yo was another one of those child's toys like the peg game or the cup-and-ball thing or the paddle-ball thing that people don't do anymore, owing to the fact that they have other forms of entertainment that aren't essentially stationary blocks of wood with strings.

Apparently there's still a yo-yo culture out there and its reining leader is one Shu Takada, shown above using the yo-yo with such ferocity and skill that you'd easily think he does nothing else but yo all day.

The thing that worries me here is that if there are still yo-yos, that means somewhere in the nasty corners of the internet there exists a very adult yo-yo culture. You all know what I mean, don't make me say it. Just enjoy the video and happy Friday!
    by Published on 09-08-2017 10:47 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite,
    3. Online/MobileTV

It's finally here!

This weekend is the start of the NFL season and you know what that means.... free NFL Sunday Ticket for all DIRECTV subscribers this weekend!

DIRECTV's NFL Sunday Ticket package lets you watch or stream every game, every Sunday. Use your TV for big-screen action or take it with you on an Android or Apple device. You don't have to miss a minute!

If you're sucked into all the action, you can still sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket. It's easy to do. Our Signal Professionals can add the package for you on Monday, just call them at 877.312.4547. You can choose the base package which gives you TV and streaming, all in HD, or the MAX package which piles on the goodness with the Fantasy Zone Channel, Player Tracker app, and Red Zone Channel. With NFL Sunday Ticket MAX, it's practically impossible to miss a play!

Let's face it... Sundays are made for football. You've been waiting all year for this. Don't wait any longer... take the free preview if you want but really, you're better off avoiding the rush and simply signing up today!
    by Published on 09-08-2017 08:20 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV

AT&T has been promising CBS stations on its DIRECTV NOW streaming service for weeks now, and it looks like the might finally be delivering. Astute viewers over at Cord Cutters News are reporting seeing CBS stations live as of yesterday. Well at least one person is reporting it, which is why I'm placing this squarely in the "rumor mill" category.

I haven't heard any chatter about this being the week for CBS to come to DIRECTV NOW and our Los Angeles test facilities haven't said anything about it yet either, but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

So I'll put it to you out there... are you seeing CBS on your DIRECTV NOW app? If so, let us know!
    by Published on 09-07-2017 03:37 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas

There are some folks who think antennas are ugly. I'm not one of them, but then I'm a little different from your average TV watcher, right? So if you're one of the people who look at a TV antenna and think "yuck," if that's the reason you haven't cut the cord yet, you might be thinking of putting the antenna behind the TV in order to eliminate the look of too many wires and too many pieces. I totally get you there.

The problem is, it might not work. Your television has metal shielding that is designed to keep its electronic emissions from affecting other things in your home, and that same stuff will effectively block antenna signals. Most flat TVs also have a mirror behind the panel itself to make the image seem brighter, and that mirror does a great job of blocking antenna signals too.

If you're smart and you're able to... the one case where it could work is if the antenna could still face the broadcast towers. In other words, if all your TV signals come from the south, and you happen to orient the TV so you're looking south when you're watching it, then the antenna won't be blocked by the TV at all and it won't be a problem. Of course not everyone is so lucky or is able to plan so well.

Really, you are better off not planning to have the antenna behind the TV and finding an antenna that you can stand the look of. There are a variety of choices at SolidSignal.com and you can even get a free recommendation for the one that would be right for you. There are clear antennas like the one above and antennas of all shapes and sizes. Chances are that at least one of those antennas will be tolerable to all members of your family, especially when it allows you to bid farewell to the cable company and their $100/month bills.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11