• Other News RSS Feed

by Published on 07-21-2017 02:48 PM
    Article Preview

There has never been, and will never be anything that is quite like The Muppet Show. In the mid-1970s, a British production company led by a real honest Lord took a chance that a variety show featuring characters from Sesame Street, carried only through syndication, ...
    by Published on 07-20-2017 10:22 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Data/Networks

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most proud of from the first ten years of The Solid Signal Blog, as well as other old stuff we think is super-neato.

What a quaint sounding article. "PC Fails of 2013" sounds like an old-school musical like "Sunshine Follies of '36." It's the name of an article I wrote about four years ago, in which I said PCs would never recover from the slump they were in. When will I ever get tired of being wrong?

Realistically, PCs didn't ever recover but the bar has been lowered somewhat. We don't expect PCs to be the tech darling they were in the 90s any more than we expect Toni Braxton to be the darling she was in the 90s. Things change.

Still, the article is an interesting snapshot of a time when we thought things would get much, much worse, and we wondered how people with desk jobs would ever be able to work the way they were. Microsoft had disappointed people so profoundly with an operating system that didn't actually operate on a desktop, and people were clinging to their antique PCs in horror just hoping they wouldn't break.

Back then I imagined a cottage industry springing up fixing old PCs because places like doctors' offices and tire shops were terrified of going to Windows 8. That actually might have been good news for the environment, but it would have been a deeply destabilizing force for businesses. That never happened largely because Microsoft smartened up and made Windows 10 something we can all live with.

On the other hand, Asus, Acer, and other mid-tier manufacturers never recovered from those days, and while the market for PC hardware is strong, it's never going to be as strong as it once was.

Ah, well... reading old articles like that just makes me wonder what I'll be wrong about next.
    by Published on 07-19-2017 11:58 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Commercial

So you need a 12-inch jumper made out of LMR195 cable, with an N Make on one end and a right-angle TNC male on the other. That's pretty random. It's also right here. This is one of the thousands of exotic cables that are available at SolidSignal.com.

Take a look at our expanded selection of wire and cable here. 75-ohm, 50-ohm, twisted pair, there's practically nothing that we don't sell. But, I'm willing to admit that it's possible there is a cable we don't have ready right now. After all, you may wake up one day and decide you want an LMR400 cable precisely 238 inches long with an N-female bulkhead connector on one end and a reverse-polarity right angle SMA on the other. I have no idea why you would, but I don't judge.

If you need something really specific, just email us at info@solidsignal.com or call 877.312.4547. It usually takes a few hours to get a quote for a custom cable and then our technicians can get right on it!
    by Published on 07-18-2017 11:29 AM
    Article Preview

At the risk of sounding like an old guy, you really need to think before taking those facebook quizzes. I know it's probably fun to find out which care bear you are or what percentage Gryffyndor you would be, but before you do, ask yourself what those quizzes are really trying to do. ...
    by Published on 07-16-2017 12:47 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Cell Phones
    Article Preview

In FOOD FOR THOUGHT we'll take a look at the things we take for granted that are actually so amazing that it's hard to even imagine that they work at all.

You're driving along at highway speeds and (ahem) your passenger is safely using a mobile device. Perhaps ...
    by Published on 07-13-2017 12:12 PM
    Article Preview

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most proud of from the first ten years of The Solid Signal Blog, as well as other old stuff we think is super-neato.

The Chromebook never did quite make it. You may have seen them in stores or you may be one of the few people who have one for work ...
    by Published on 07-09-2017 01:28 PM

One bad review can ruin your whole day. We do our best to take care of our customers and we know that an awful lot of you leave satisfied. We have one of the best returning customer rates in the business, and we know that it's important to earn every sale.

We would love to say that just earning your business is all we need. Unfortunately we get sidetracked when people go on review sites and badmouth us for sport. We'd like to be able to please everyone, and when we don't, we usually have meetings talking about how we can improve.

The bottom line is that we try to earn every positive review and we hate seeing every negative review. Review sites help people make up their minds about us and we just don't want people getting the wrong impression.

What makes matters worse is that negative reviews don't always come from bad experiences. We've all seen those reviews from "trolls" who just love to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt. Some of them aren't even real customers, they just like the power that comes with saying negative things. The only way we can combat them is to let our happy customers tell the real story! Will you help us do that?

Have you, our loyal customers, considered writing a review? There are plenty of sites that let you leave reviews. Our own web site lets you review any product, whether you've bought it or not, and one of the most popular sites for reviews is Facebook of course. Why not take a moment and share your positive experiences with everyone in the world? You can even be anonymous. When you tell everyone about the good service, good prices and good value you got, plus all the free documentation and tech support, it helps drive more business and that in turn helps us serve all our customers better.

You might also get a request for a review if you've bought something from us. We partner with established "reputation management" companies to try to get the true story of what our customers are thinking about us. If you do get an email like that, let us know, good or bad!

Sincerely, we are grateful for every opportunity to earn every sale and we're glad you're all here.

Page 1 of 111 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast