Coming Soon... a new Solid Signal Blog
  • OLDER CONTENT RSS Feed

by Published on 09-15-2016 11:53 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Commercial
    Article Preview

Call your boss a “bitter old man” and he’ll punish you
    . How else can you explain Stuart Sweet going to Dallas with the rest of the blog team... just not me?

The Custom Electronics Design & Installation Association (CEDIA) Expo kicks off this week. It’s America’s ...
    by Published on 09-13-2016 01:37 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas
    Article Preview

In FOOD FOR THOUGHT we'll take a look at the things we take for granted that are actually so amazing that it's hard to even imagine that they work at all.

We're on the verge of the fall television season. This is the time we're supposed to get interested in the new slate of shows rolling ...
    by Published on 09-08-2016 01:53 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Data/Networks

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most proud of from the first nine years of The Solid Signal Blog.

We were there when it happened... then again so were you and you probably don't remember. I point to an article from March of 2013 on this very blog, titled "Slow internet? It's not just you." It was the day of the largest cyber attack in internet history, even to this day. It was the day a group of spammers decided to fight back against European countries that had taken a stand against them. They used the time-tested "DDoS" attack method, which basically sends so much traffic through one point that no one else can get in.

The internet itself actually performed very well that day, proving that its very design made it very resistant to attacks. Unlike some countries which have only one or two physical connections between themselves and the rest of the world, European countries are so strongly connected that the traffic just went through other portals. It slowed everyone down, but not for long.

In three years there has not been another cyber attack this large (that we know of) but there have been cases where whole countries have been cut off because their single line to the rest of the world was cut. It's a tough lesson to learn, but we've become so connected as a planet that it's more important that internet lines stay up sometimes than phone lines, mail service, or any other forms of communication. It's just who we are in 2016.
    by Published on 09-05-2016 08:54 AM

That's right Solid Signal fans, our offices are closed today. Our techs are home with their families, our warehouse staff is having a barbecue and as for me, your humble blogger, I'm working... as little as possible. Of course, our computerized ordering systems are still up and working hard, but no orders will ship today.

Labor Day is one of those days when we take a step back from the hustle and bustle and just enjoy ourselves, at least most of us. I give a sincere tip of the hat to all those first responders, doctors, retail workers, and waitstaff who work to serve the rest of us on a day most of us take for granted. At least on Labor Day, they're the real heroes.

For those of us settling back to grill a few brats or watch a little sports, Labor Day is a little piece of heaven, one of those days we work for all year. I hope you take a moment to enjoy it and to look forward to tomorrow, when our offices will be open, full of happy rested people who want nothing more than to help you make your technology wishes come true.
    by Published on 09-03-2016 12:03 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

In Streaming Saturday, we'll look at trends in cord-cutting that include both antennas and internet-based video.

Netflix in September will bring the second season of an original series and a documentary on sexual assault. Both should make for some entertaining and thought-provoking streaming.

Netflix is the perfect entertainment source for myself and Mrs. Buckler. While she tends to prefer madcap, screwball comedies, she’ll sometimes surprise me by ...
    by Published on 09-02-2016 11:40 AM
    Article Preview

Spike Jonze’s new perfume ad is not some kind of artistic tour de force. Spike has done all of this before… and better.

Let's start with the particulars. Acclaimed director Spike Jonze recently directed a commercial for Kenzo World perfume. The video starts out with a woman (Margaret Qualley) in a glamorous green gown. ...
    by Published on 09-01-2016 01:28 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most proud of from the first nine years of The Solid Signal Blog.

The Solid Signal Blog started in early 2007, meaning that in about six months we'll be starting a tenth-year celebration. I wasn't there in the early days, and if you look back at those days, you'll see the blog wasn't much to look at.

When I came on board in 2012, we started again from scratch. We built a new platform that has served us for over 10,000 articles with tutorials, news, and opinions. But everything has to start somewhere.

We officially relaunched February 1, 2012, there were a few articles that posted in the days just before that, as tests of the new platform's capabilities. Some still hold up today, but the first article on the new system, dated January 26, 2012... doesn't. It's just a reprint of a DIRECTV press release with no additional commentary.

It wasn't long before we were off and running, building a staff of talented writers and the people behind the scenes that make it all work. But before we could bring you some of the internet's most downloaded satellite and antenna content, it started with one press release.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast