• With (almost) any DIRECTV Genie: use IR and RF at the same time!

DIRECTV's Genie System just keeps getting better! The new Genie DVR isn't just smaller and faster, but we've confirmed that it has one feature that no (almost) other DIRECTV DVR has...

Whether you have an older Genie or the new Genie 2, your devices can receive can receive IR and RF remote instructions at the same time! (The HR34 Genie and C31 client can't do this trick. You can program your Genie remote to control the Genie through walls and doors while using any DIRECTV IR remote (or universal remote) to control it as long as you have line of sight.

Now, you don't have to choose. Let's talk about some of the scenarios where this is important:

• If your Genie DVR runs to TVs in two rooms, you can use the remote that comes with it for the distant room and an inexpensive IR Remote for the nearby room.
    • If your Genie DVR is connected to a Slingbox, you can still control it using RF... perfect for a media rack.
    • Your Genie DVR will still work with any DIRECTV remote without any reprogramming if you lose the Genie remote.

These are just a few scenarios where the ability to do simultaneous IR and RF work for you. It's something home theatre buffs have wanted for a long time. As a matter of fact, the Genie system is the first (and so far only) TV box that pulls off the long-awaited trifecta...

In addition to simultaneous IR and RF, it can also use IP Control through a PC or tablet. That's something never before done in the DIRECTV world and it makes a huge difference for anyone with more than one receiver in the same room. Fans with sports rooms or "man caves" can have all the control they want.

For now, the Genie DVR is not approved for commercial accounts, but this ability combined with the Commercial App for iPad will give bar and restaurant owners a huge bump in usability. Instead of using expensive matrix switchers or bags full of remotes, commercial accounts will have the ultimate power. Set a few devices for RF and carry around a single IR remote for closeup work, and use the iPad app to change whole banks of receivers at a single tap.

The future just keeps looking better for DIRECTV.

Like what you've read? Register and leave a comment...
    Already registered here? Type away!
    Comments 7 Comments
      DTVGuy -
      The problem is: The "new" Genie remote can not be programmed to control an audio amplifier - even in the IR mode. The "TV" audio - yes. But not an audio amp. As the saying goes, "What's with that?"
      The "new" remote and features are always being promoted, but it s a step backwards. Almost anyone who desires DirecTV quality is going to be using an external amp. Not the TV speakers.
      Glad I still have "old" remotes that can control audio amps. Wish D* would look into this shortcoming - a big one IMO.
      PhoenixAZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
      The problem is: The "new" Genie remote can not be programmed to control an audio amplifier - even in the IR mode. The "TV" audio - yes. But not an audio amp. As the saying goes, "What's with that?"
      The "new" remote and features are always being promoted, but it s a step backwards. Almost anyone who desires DirecTV quality is going to be using an external amp. Not the TV speakers.
      Glad I still have "old" remotes that can control audio amps. Wish D* would look into this shortcoming - a big one IMO.
      Which remote are you referring to, the new smaller peanut shaped remote? If so, you can use an audio amp with it, I do with mine. You have to program it under remote control in the settings and help menu. You will have to program the TV first, then it should give you the option to program an audio amp and ask you if you want to control the volume using the amp. Let us know if this works for you.
      Stuart Sweet -
      I don't think that the new remote is a step back. I agree that it's not able to completely control an audio device however the volume control does work. If your audio receiver supports HDMI-CEC then depending on how your system is set up it may be possible to power it on automatically and set the input automatically anyway.

For most people who have simple setups, the simplicity of the Genie remote is very desirable. For people who have more complex setups -- take it from someone who has a complex setup -- no stock remote is going to be perfect no matter what. You'll need some sort of programmable system whether it's app-based or something like Harmony or URC.
      PhoenixAZ -
      Its good that they have always allowed the volume control to work with an AV receiver, but I never understood why they didn't implement a power toggle as well, it seems it could have easily been done.
      MysteryMan -
      Not a issue for me. I use Sony for my A/V gear which comes with Sony Bravia Sync. I can program any DIRECTV remote to work with my TV. After that when I hit the Power On button using a DIRECTV remote my TV powers on and tells the AVR to power on as well. This feature also allows me to control the volume on my AVR with a DIRECTV remote.
      DTVGuy -
      OK, it does work - now. Seems there has been a S/W "enhancement." When I got my first Genie - an HR-44 for the RV - it did not have an audio amp control option. This was confirmed by the "required" installer (he was actually very competent) who programmed the TV audio but there was no audio amp menu. Now there is and it worked first time. So thanks for the polite push back.
      Still like the old remote better but the RF capability is worth it in the RV where the Genie is behind a louvered door.
      Thanks, glad I "complained." Always learn something here.

PhoenixAZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
      Not a issue for me. I use Sony for my A/V gear which comes with Sony Bravia Sync. I can program any DIRECTV remote to work with my TV. After that when I hit the Power On button using a DIRECTV remote my TV powers on and tells the AVR to power on as well. This feature also allows me to control the volume on my AVR with a DIRECTV remote.
      Well true, I was talking more "back in the day" before all this fancy AV gear came out with auto switching. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
      OK, it does work - now. Seems there has been a S/W "enhancement." When I got my first Genie - an HR-44 for the RV - it did not have an audio amp control option. This was confirmed by the "required" installer (he was actually very competent) who programmed the TV audio but there was no audio amp menu. Now there is and it worked first time. So thanks for the polite push back.
      Still like the old remote better but the RF capability is worth it in the RV where the Genie is behind a louvered door.
      Thanks, glad I "complained." Always learn something here.
      Its working now? It should have been working since day one. Not sure what your installer did, or didn't do, to not get it to work. But at least its working now.