E-mail
Suggest a topic
  • CEDIA Expo Report: Antennas Direct DB8e



    One of the big product announcements at CEDIA Expo 2012 came from our longtime friends at Antennas Direct. There is just nothing else like this antenna.

    Take a look: This is the Antennas Direct DB8e. This is the one to get if you need to get UHF reception from 65 miles or more. What you see here are a total of four antennas that work together in one massive array using a custom-designed combiner.

    What's so special? Aside from the mind-blowing 17.4dBi gain (estimated, of course) the construction of the DB8e is going to amaze you. The antennas are arranged on two brackets that allow the antenna to be aimed in two completely different directions. If you're stuck between two markets, this is the antenna for you.

    For example, take my old friends in Haverhill, Massachusetts... 35 miles from Boston and 30 miles from Manchester NH. Point this one antenna in two directions and you don't need a rotator to get all the channels in your area!

    This antenna is a massive beast full of industrial-strength construction. It's 48"x36", about 1.3 1 meter, in size. Put it on the roof or in the attic... this is no indoor antenna, that's for sure. My overall impression: very solid build quality. With an antenna you always have to compromise between strength and light weight, and I think this is the perfect balance for such a large antenna.

    The DB8e is designed for UHF-only; they make no promises about VHF-High. Still with a massive piece of metal like that it's pretty likely that you'll get something from a sufficiently strong signal.

    Antennas Direct's top staff was kind enough to give us a lot of their time and you can tell that they are super-excited about this antenna. They had it mounted on a BMW motorcycle for a mobile testing lab. It was the hit of the show... people were drawn to TiVo's large booth graphics and immediately swerved to see the massive antenna pointing to the ceiling.

    The DB8e is still in prototype form so watch this blog to see when it becomes available.

    Like what you've read? Register and leave a comment...
    Already registered here? Type away!
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. VOS's Avatar
      VOS -
      I rarely give out a "thumbs up", but having built my own "array" with 20+ dBi gain, I see this as a great "out of the box" solution for those that need more than "an average" antenna.
    1. wizwor's Avatar
      wizwor -
      Who is your friend in Haverhill? I live just over the boarder in Danville, New Hampshire. I replaced a DB8 with a 91XG and get very good reception, but I suspect this would make things a little better -- especially for WBIN in Derry and the Maine stations that winter with me. The 91XG is coupled with a Y5-7-13 for WENH and WMUR via a CM7777. This Is my TVFool report id (not enough posts to include a link, but you can post the string below after the q=)...

      id%3dc84f5d542a0e7d

      What do you think?
    1. Stuart Sweet's Avatar
      Stuart Sweet -
      I think this antenna would be even better for you than a 91xg, because you probably would not need a rotator.
    1. wizwor's Avatar
      wizwor -
      I don't have a rotator now. Despite that I get...

      Always: WGBH/World, WBZ, WCVB/Me, WHDH/This, WMUR/Me, WENH/Explore/World/Kids, WFXT, WSBK, WGBX/Create/Kids, WLVI/TCN, WFMP/Wealth/RTV
      Most of the time: WBIN
      Sometimes: WMTW, WGME, WPXG/ION, WLWC, WBPX/ION, WPQX/ION

      My 91XG is almost due south. I think (hope) the DB8e could be oriented so that it straddles due south and that this will help with WBIN and the ION channels west of north.
    1. ATL14ESQ's Avatar
      ATL14ESQ -
      Any word on when the DB8e may become available to the Buying public?

      I think it will be a perfect fit for someone like myself stuck between two markets. One of them 35-40- Miles away, other 55-60 miles away.
    1. Stuart Sweet's Avatar
      Stuart Sweet -
      Good question. Let me fire off an e-mail and see where we're at with that.
    1. Stuart Sweet's Avatar
      Stuart Sweet -
      Here's your answer: We're actually very close, but it will probably be a few more months before we can put it up for sale.
    1. ATL14ESQ's Avatar
      ATL14ESQ -
      Quote Originally Posted by SS@SolidSignal View Post
      Here's your answer: We're actually very close, but it will probably be a few more months before we can put it up for sale.
      Appreciate the prompt response. Very interested in learning more as the time draws nearer.
    1. bbaker73's Avatar
      bbaker73 -
      Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
      I don't have a rotator now. Despite that I get...

      Always: WGBH/World, WBZ, WCVB/Me, WHDH/This, WMUR/Me, WENH/Explore/World/Kids, WFXT, WSBK, WGBX/Create/Kids, WLVI/TCN, WFMP/Wealth/RTV
      Most of the time: WBIN
      Sometimes: WMTW, WGME, WPXG/ION, WLWC, WBPX/ION, WPQX/ION

      My 91XG is almost due south. I think (hope) the DB8e could be oriented so that it straddles due south and that this will help with WBIN and the ION channels west of north.
      I think this may be my lucky day if you are still around to receive this post, as I see this thread is from a while back.

      I am one town over from you, Sandown, and am trying to find the best antenna to get, at minimum, the major networks out of Boston. I have an omnidirectional I just purchased that is not doing so well picking them up and I've been eyeing the DB8e but am awaiting expert advice (another forum I joined) before I spend any more money.

      I'm behind a slight hill and have the antenna mounted about 50' above ground. I'm barely getting WFXT Fox 25.1 and WBZ CBS 4.1. they also appear to be suffering from atmospheric ducting, as they came in when overcast/drizzle moved in, disappeared when the sun came out, reappeared at dusk when it was overcast. Noticed the same thing early in the morning, WBZ 4.1 was there and then disappeared around sunrise, Fox was pretty stable, but as midday approaches, starting to cut out.

      WHDH NBC 7.1 seems stable, and WCVB ABC 5.1 isn't coming at all.

      So I'm wondering, compared to you in Danville receiving these channels, if the DB8e would be a good choice for me. I'm not sure the topography as to whether this hill in my way would also affect you.
    1. bbaker73's Avatar
      bbaker73 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bbaker73 View Post
      I think this may be my lucky day if you are still around to receive this post, as I see this thread is from a while back.

      I am one town over from you, Sandown, and am trying to find the best antenna to get, at minimum, the major networks out of Boston. I have an omnidirectional I just purchased that is not doing so well picking them up and I've been eyeing the DB8e but am awaiting expert advice (another forum I joined) before I spend any more money.

      I'm behind a slight hill and have the antenna mounted about 50' above ground. I'm barely getting WFXT Fox 25.1 and WBZ CBS 4.1. they also appear to be suffering from atmospheric ducting, as they came in when overcast/drizzle moved in, disappeared when the sun came out, reappeared at dusk when it was overcast. Noticed the same thing early in the morning, WBZ 4.1 was there and then disappeared around sunrise, Fox was pretty stable, but as midday approaches, starting to cut out.

      WHDH NBC 7.1 seems stable, and WCVB ABC 5.1 isn't coming at all.

      So I'm wondering, compared to you in Danville receiving these channels, if the DB8e would be a good choice for me. I'm not sure the topography as to whether this hill in my way would also affect you.
      wow, looking at your report, you must not be behind the hill. You have drastically better signal than I do. This is mine id%3dd243b60b17b290