Suggest a topic
  • What's Fresh Today RSS Feed

EDITORIAL: Will we ever run out of cop shows?

So I finally got around to watching the clumsily named The Paley read on

What is "PoE?"

I know what you're thinking, PoE is a 19th century horror writer best read on

What is the best long range antenna?

If you're a real "DXer," you're out there trying to get those read on

STREAMING SATURDAY: Netflix “Flaws” Explained

Netflix often gets criticized for not being the “Blockbuster” of read on

FUN FRIDAY: More Spock?

One of the most beloved characters in the history of television, read on

What do the USB ports on a DIRECTV receiver do?

Nothing. Well, almost nothing. Every DIRECTV receiver has at least read on

NICE AND EASY: Our chat staff is full of real humans

No robots here. I don't know about you but when I get into a chat read on

Does a DIRECTV receiver need to be connected to the internet?

They REALLY want you to connect your DIRECTV receiver or DVR to the read on

How much of a game changer is 5G?

It's coming. 5G is the next generation of wireless internet and the read on

Does the number of elements in an antenna really matter?

Take a look at this antenna.. There are a lot of parts there. Each read on

THROWBACK THURSDAY: The phablet craze

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most read on

Why should you worry about recycling? Stuff came from the Earth, why can't it just go back there?

This article comes from a legitimate question asked of me about a read on

NICE AND EASY: What's the difference between a router and a switch?

Yeah, it can get kind of confusing especially since some routers have read on

Ken Reid and Brice Beckham

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and read on

Why don't they use solid state drives in DVRs?

You'd think it would be a no-brainer. DVR users want quiet, small read on

Can you use your DIRECTV equipment in other countries?

Going on a trip? Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean await. But once read on
    by Published on 03-26-2017 01:08 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas,
    3. Satellite,
    4. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

So I finally got around to watching the clumsily named The Paley Center Salutes NBC's 90th Anniversary which I recorded a while back. I figured it would be a self-congratulating, three-hour-long victory lap light on content and heavy on montages and quotes from former celebrities. So, I saved it for when I ...
    by Published on 03-26-2017 10:57 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Data/Networks
    Article Preview

I know what you're thinking, PoE is a 19th century horror writer best known for "The Raven?" What, you're not thinking that? Perhaps you're not a high school English teacher. After all, there are a limited number of them.

PoE is an acronym standing for Power over Ethernet. Don't ask ...
    by Published on 03-25-2017 12:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas
    Article Preview

If you're a real "DXer," you're out there trying to get those stations from 80, 90, or 100 miles away. I can't promise that anything we offer you will really succeed, but if you're going to try, you'll definitely want to start with the best hardware. My personal favorite is this Televes DAT790 LR Mix antenna. While it doesn't have the sexiest name, it's an incredibly capable antenna. ...
    by Published on 03-25-2017 09:02 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Netflix often gets criticized for not being the “Blockbuster” of streaming services. There’s actually a good reason why it doesn’t have a limitless library of titles to stream.

One of the biggest criticisms of Netflix is that it’s not the Blockbuster Video of streaming services. By this, I mean that many Netflix users ...
    by Published on 03-24-2017 01:31 PM

No robots here. I don't know about you but when I get into a chat with a web site, I always wonder if I'm talking to a human. A lot of times the conversation seems really forced and I always question the experience. You probably do too. The sheer number of robots, and people who act like robots, has kept me from doing more when it comes to chatting.

At Solid Signal, our chat staff are 100% flesh and blood humans. In fact you'll sometimes even find me there, and I'm pretty sure I'm human too. The folks on our support desk who chat are the same ones who talk on the phone, the same ones who are available over email if you're still having problems.

That's the difference. We want to take the time to talk to every customer who needs it, to solve technical issues, billing questions, and whatever else you need. This personal touch sets us apart from other, larger retailers and gives us the advantage out in the marketplace. That's why we're one of the largest online retailers out there -- we take it personally.

So, the next time you need help, whether you've made the purchase and you want a little more help or if you're just thinking about it and you're trying to get more information... try out that chat button. I promise you it's full of helpful, real humans who can make a real difference for you.
    by Published on 03-24-2017 12:47 PM
    Article Preview

One of the most beloved characters in the history of television, Leonard Nimoy's Spock hardly needs introduction or description. It doesn't matter if you've never watched a minute of Star Trek, you know who Spock is. The character excited the psyche of late 20th-century America like no other.

Star Trek has been gone from TV for ...
    by Published on 03-24-2017 11:28 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

They REALLY want you to connect your DIRECTV receiver or DVR to the internet. Like REALLY. It's a standard part of the installation now. But what if you don't want to, or you can't? What happens?

You don't need an internet connection for DIRECTV service. You lose out on a lot of stuff, but you don't need it. You ...
    by Published on 03-24-2017 06:22 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Cell Phones,
    3. Data/Networks
    Article Preview

It's coming. 5G is the next generation of wireless internet and the one thing we know about it is that it will be fast. We're talking about 100Mbps minimum, with gigabit speeds for many users outside of large metropolitan areas. We're talking so fast that you might just be able to give up wired internet, that fast.

For those people who want ...
    by Published on 03-23-2017 03:26 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas
    Article Preview

Take a look at this antenna.. There are a lot of parts there. Each one of those horizontal bars is called an "element" and when you put them all together, you get a powerful antenna that can get 80 mile reception without the need for an amplifier.

Does the number of elements ...
    by Published on 03-23-2017 12:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Cell Phones

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most proud of from the first ten years of The Solid Signal Blog.

Phablet. It's a word that left us as quickly as it came. It was all the rage four years ago when I wrote a whole article about it, but I can't remember the last time I heard someone say it. It's just not a word we needed, apparently, so it just didn't stick around.

The word "phablet" came about because about five years ago, smartphones started veering away from that standard iPhone size with a screen roughly 35" diagonal, into much bigger and bigger screens. It was an acknowledgement that people texted more, looked more at the screen, and needed bigger phones to hold bigger batteries. All that stuff is still true, so much so that the "phablet" of days gone by, once considered almost as big as a tablet, is today's standard size phone. Most smartphones come with a 4.5", 5.5" or 6" screen, that's just the norm. So there's no need for a word to describe it.

In fact, if anything we need a new word for the size of phone we used to have. Unfortunately "micro-phone" is used for something else. Tinyphone? I don't know. All I know is that no one says "phablet" anymore.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7