Suggest a topic
  • What's Fresh Today RSS Feed

Will 2017 be the year of 4K?

I can't believe I'm asking this question again. It seems like 4K has read on

Over-the-air antenna TV on the water? It can be done!

Itching for some free TV while out on the high seas? You don't need read on

Can you use a Genie DVR in your RV?

Yes, but only if you have this dish (or something like read on

BONUS TV Guidance Counselor podcast for the week!

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and read on

STREAMING SATURDAY: Netflix Suggestion Engine’s Flaws

Editor's note: Jake Buckler thinks he's going to get away with this. read on

FUN FRIDAY: The very first laptop

It was called the Grid Compass. If you had $10,000 to spend in 1979, read on

How often should you rescan for channels if you have a TV antenna?

Ask 10 people, you'll get 12 answers. The best answer is, of course, read on

Choosing Satellite Dishes for RVs

Want to add satellite TV to your RV, camper, or motorhome? If so, read on

DIRECTV HD Extra Pack free trial going on Now!

More stuff. Free stuff. It's all yours today through March 1 as read on

NBA League Pass free trial today through 11/4

It's that time again... Basketball season is getting underway and read on

THROWBACK THURSDAY: SportsNet LA

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most read on

FCC approves "LTE-U" -- what does this mean for you?

"U"," not "yoo-hoo." Time for new interns AGAIN. Your next cell read on

Introducing Televes Indoor Amplifiers!

Finally, the future has arrived. I've spent the last week poking read on

DISH has a a great fourth quarter

Good news for shareholders... financials released yesterday show that read on

Ken Reid and a Rose by any other name

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and read on

Signal Boosters and Boats - a Great Combination

Do you wonder if a marine cell phone booster is needed in your boat, read on
    by Published on 02-27-2017 12:51 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite,
    3. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

I can't believe I'm asking this question again. It seems like 4K has been around longer than Elvis and yet it's still never completely caught on. For myself, I first saw a "consumer" demonstration of 4K in 2012, and I blogged about it. The 84" television cost well north of $20,000 and I suspect there were few buyers. In a quick search, ...
    by Published on 02-26-2017 03:50 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas,
    3. Auto/Marine,
    4. Satellite
    Article Preview

Itching for some free TV while out on the high seas? You don't need to do without. A lot of people don't think that it's possible to get live, over-the-air TV while out on the ocean but it's just not true.

There's always distance to think about... but unless you operate a large cruise ship you're ...
    by Published on 02-26-2017 11:37 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Auto/Marine,
    3. Satellite,
    4. Online/MobileTV

Yes, but only if you have this dish (or something like it.)

DIRECTV's Genie DVRs require the use of SWM technology. That means you must either have a SWM-enabled dish like the Winegard Trav'ler SK-SWM3 or something similar. The dish must be capable of seeing at least three of DIRECTV's satellite locations: the 99, 101, and 103 locations. Round dishes aren't supported anymore by DIRECTV Genie, although if you've previously set up your Genie to work with a round dish it will still work.

We've received reports that some DIRECTV techs don't think a Genie will work in an RV, but if you have this dish or any Slimline-3 or Slimline-5 dish (or, if you're really hardcore, one of the HD domes from KVH or Intellian) it absolutely will work. Your friends at Solid Signal can help you with the setup and activation. Just give us a call at 877.312.4547 and we'll take care of everything! Solid Signal is one of the nation's largest dealers for both DIRECTV and DISH RV installs and we can arrange everything from the receiver to installation services if you want. We've got it all!
    by Published on 02-25-2017 01:23 PM
    Article Preview

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and may contain mild language.

I'm Ken Reid, a stand up comedian from Boston, MA and a life long television fan. I've been twice nominated as the Best Stand up in Boston and I have been featured on Comedy Central, NPR, Nerdist, ...
    by Published on 02-25-2017 12:52 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Editor's note: Jake Buckler thinks he's going to get away with this. He needs to sleep with one eye open.

What do you think about Netflix’s suggestion engine?
    Does it truly negatively affect your streaming experience?

I’m a streamer who neither loves nor hates Netflix’s suggestion engine. The thought of this alone sends my colleague Stuart Sweet into hysterics. ...
    by Published on 02-24-2017 06:17 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Data/Networks
    Article Preview

It was called the Grid Compass. If you had $10,000 to spend in 1979, you could pick up two mid-size cars or one of these, which has the distinction of being the first laptop computer. We call it a laptop since it had the basic shape of a laptop today: flat screen that folds up to reveal a keyboard and a shape ...
    by Published on 02-24-2017 03:37 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Auto/Marine,
    3. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Want to add satellite TV to your RV, camper, or motorhome?
    If so, you have three different satellite dishes from which to choose.

When it comes to satellite dishes for RVs, you must choose between a portable dish, RV-mounted antenna, or auto-aiming dish. While all of these satellite antennas will deliver the same great programming you enjoy at home, each ...
    by Published on 02-24-2017 12:28 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

More stuff. Free stuff. It's all yours today through March 1 as DIRECTV rolls out a free preview of its HD Extra Pack. HD Extra channels have content that's not available in HD and you can get 3 free months of this great programming now. Start here... it's free for everyone this week. If you like what you see, why not give it a whirl for a few months?

This is quality stuff that you won't find anywhere else and DIRECTV brings it all to you! Fill your DVR with everything you can... when DIRECTV has a free preview the stuff you record won't go away after the preview does.

As a reminder, here's the lineup for the HD Extra Pack:

565 – Hallmark Movie Channel HD
    566 – HDNet Movies
    567 – MGM HD
    568 – Sony Movie Channel HD
    569 – Universal HD
    570 – Smithsonian HD
    571 – Crime & Investigation HD
    572 – Palladia HD
    573 – Shorts HD
    by Published on 02-24-2017 12:23 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

It's that time again... Basketball season is getting underway and DIRECTV wants you to know that just it's the sports leader on the courts! There's only one way to get every out of market basketball game, and it's DIRECTV League Pass. You'll get up to 40 games a week so you'll never miss your favorite team no matter where they are playing!

League Pass is free for everyone through next Monday on Channels 750-768 on DIRECTV. It's a chance to see what's out there and really immerse yourself in the world of basketball. DIRECTV has posted the schedule here, and if you are interested in ordering League Pass, call us at 866.726.4182 and we'll make it happen!
    by Published on 02-23-2017 01:27 PM

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most proud of from the first ten years of The Solid Signal Blog.

Three years ago this week, SportsNet LA, known to most folks as "The Dodgers Channel," went on the air. We covered it here. At the time, only Time Warner Cable customers could see it, along with a few very small cable companies in central California.

Since then, the Dodgers have reached the playoffs, their announcer (the great Vin Scully) has retired, and here we are looking at the 2017 baseball season, once again, without this channel on DIRECTV, DISH, or even Comcast. Only Spectrum (the service that was once Charter or Time Warner Cable) customers can see this channel. Period.

This means about 6 million people in the area covered by Dodgers baseball are out of luck. Again.

Don't blame DIRECTV, DISH, or any other provider. It's been said over and over again that SportsNet LA is more expensive than ESPN which makes it a spectactularly bad value when you consider the baseball season's not even half the year. Westerners have a lot of other teams to root for, including home-team favorites the Angels, as well as teams in San Diego and San Francisco, and many folks who now live in Southern California hail from other places and have more interest in the home team where they grew up.

None of that matters. This nonsense has to stop. The Los Angeles city government allowed this to happen despite millions of dollars in tax breaks, law enforcement, traffic and public transit assistance, yet its residents can't watch the games. When you combine SportsNet's unfettered greed with the ridiculous MLB blackout rules that keep most home games from being shown, pretty much anywhere, and this ends up being really unfair. City governments have a lot to do that's super important, but let's be honest this is a big part of people's lives.

For those people who are affected by this whole mess, your option is to get the MLB Extra Innings package from DIRECTV. With it, you can see Dodgers' away games on SportsNet LA by using the free MLB.TV subscription. You still can't see home games and you don't get any of the other content on that channel, but half a loaf is better than none, I suppose.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7