Suggest a topic
  • What's Fresh Today RSS Feed

Cord Cutters and the Olympics

Display of the Rio logo on this blog does not imply sponsorship of read on

Big MLS Direct Kick free preview this weekend!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! If you're a soccer fan, or if your kids are, read on

Get rid of wi-fi dead spots with a range extender

About fifteen years ago I made a mistake. I put my internet read on

FUN FRIDAY: Hammond Castle

If you happen to find yourself in Massachusetts you might want to read on

DIRECTV going all in for 4K Olympics Coverage

If you've upgraded to DIRECTV 4K you'll be thrilled to know that read on

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Robocalls didn't stop in 2013

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most read on

Cord Cutting 101: Troubleshooting Your TV Antenna

You’ve set up your TV antenna and made all your connections but read on

Schedule recordings with the DIRECTV App for smartphones and tablets

No matter where you are, if you have internet access, you can read on

Ken Reid is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and read on

What is a Wi-Fi repeater?

It's the cheapest way to extend your wireless range. Wi-Fi read on

New Amazon Video App More Android-Friendly

Good news, streamers! A recent update to Amazon Video’s Android app read on

Lightning rods - as important today as they were in 1752

The story goes that Benjamin Franklin was flying a kite in an read on

What is an access point?

Router. Switch. Access Point. It's way too hard to distinguish read on

QUICK TIP: Confused about "Keep Until I Delete?"

It sounds simple... one of the options for setting up a series link read on

What are "crushed" blacks? (and why are they bad?)

Original Image ©Barry Blanchard Hang around a home theatre blog like read on

TIP: How to aim an antenna

So... you've finally moved up to an outdoor antenna. Or maybe you've read on
    by Published on 07-29-2016 01:55 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! If you're a soccer fan, or if your kids are, you're going to want to stay glued to the TV this weekend. DIRECTV has a free preview of its MLS Direct Kick program. You'll get tons of soccer on channels 471-476!

Soccer may have been nearly unknown when you grew up but these days it's a rite of passage for suburban kids everywhere, and chances are you know someone who grew up watching it religiously. You may have wondered what all the fuss was about, and now you can see for yourself as the top players from around the world come together to give you hours and hours of action.

Try Direct Kick for free this weekend, all the way through Sunday night, and if you like it, I'm sure the fine people at Solid Signal would love it if you called 877.312.4547 and ordered MLS Direct Kick... or just go to DIRECTV.com to order online. It's surprisingly affordable when you consider just how much soccer you'll be getting.
    by Published on 07-29-2016 12:56 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Cell Phones,
    3. Data/Networks
    Article Preview

About fifteen years ago I made a mistake. I put my internet connection in the room where the computer was. Remember, this was back when computers looked like this:

and you couldn't pick them up and take them anywhere. They had laptops back then but they were super expensive and smartphones? Forget about it, they hadn't been invented.

The internet connection is still in the ...
    by Published on 07-29-2016 10:35 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Display of the Rio logo on this blog does not imply sponsorship of the Olympic Games.

Some cord-cutting sources say that cord-cutters can access the NBC Olympics app. My reply to this is simple – Don’t believe the hype!

My definition of cord-cutting is rather inclusive. I consider folks with cable Internet services and even satellite TV. This Pollyanna-like ...
    by Published on 07-29-2016 10:31 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Misc. Gadgets
    Article Preview

If you happen to find yourself in Massachusetts you might want to check out one of the pivotal places from my childhood. It's a medieval-style castle, right where you'd expect it to be... in the fishing town of Gloucester. It's darn near impossible to get to without exercising patience ...
    by Published on 07-28-2016 01:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas
    Article Preview

You’ve set up your TV antenna
    and made all your connections but something is still not quite right. Learning how to troubleshoot your TV antenna is important for all cord cutters.

Problems with your TV antenna manifest right before your very eyes. If something is wrong, you’ll know because you won’t get clear reception on your TV screen. While knowing that there’s a problem is immediate, ...
    by Published on 07-28-2016 10:31 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Cell Phones,
    3. Satellite,
    4. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

No matter where you are, if you have internet access, you can schedule recordings on your home DVR with DIRECTV. DIRECTV's excellent app for smartphones and tablets isn't just good for streaming, it's not just good for being a super-duper remote control when you're in the house... you can actually use it to schedule recordings no ...
    by Published on 07-28-2016 10:14 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

If you've upgraded to DIRECTV 4K you'll be thrilled to know that there's going to be a lot more content in the coming weeks. DIRECTV's channel 106 will have plenty of 4K, according to a recent report in Variety. NBC is making 4K coverage available on a 2.5 hour delay to DIRECTV, DISH, and Comcast subscribers with the right hardware. ...
    by Published on 07-28-2016 09:35 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Cell Phones
    Article Preview

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most proud of from the first nine years of The Solid Signal Blog, and other stuff from the past that we think is cool.

Not like I really thought they would, but back in 2013 I wrote this:

Is today the last day of robocalls?

by Published on 07-27-2016 04:15 PM
    Article Preview

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and may contain mild language.

I'm Ken Reid, a stand up comedian from Boston, MA and a life long television fan. I've been twice nominated as the Best Stand up in Boston and I have been featured on Comedy Central, NPR, Nerdist, and ...
    by Published on 07-27-2016 03:48 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Data/Networks

It's the cheapest way to extend your wireless range.

Wi-Fi repeaters, also called Wi-Fi extenders, create a second wireless network that automatically shuttles data back and forth from your phone or other device to your main wireless network. The devices are usually very small and easy to set up, and while speeds are sometimes a little slower than they would be through your main network, they're still a great value.

Generally, the way it works is, you put the wireless repeater as far away from your router as it can be and still get signal. This is usually 35-50 feet depending on the construction of the building you're in. Then, you plug it in and set it up, either with a phone, tablet or PC. Usually it's very easy, all you need is your wireless password. Once you do that, there's a second Wi-Fi network created. When you're out of range of your main network, just connect to the secondary network and you'll get great signal.

A Wi-Fi extender is usually a good first step, but if you really need good quality wireless service, you'll need a wireless access point. An access point requires a wired network connection, which means you'll have to run some wires. This can be a little time-consuming and potentially expensive. That's why a lot of people just start with a Wi-Fi repeater and see if it's all they need.

Shop now for wireless repeaters at Solid Signal!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7