Suggest a topic
  • What's Fresh Today RSS Feed

Dash Cams Protect You and Your Family On the Road

Go to YouTube and do a search for “Russian Dash Cam.” Seriously! Do read on

Will a cell booster help you underwater?

File this one under... "we work hard so you don't have to." With the read on

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Making Tires?

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most read on

Which is better, Netflix 4K or DIRECTV 4K?

OK you have to first agree that as of today, it's a tossup. The read on

Behold the Vibrasonic Molechaser®

I’m glad Solid Signal offers the Vibrasonic Molechaser® from P3 read on

DON'T BE FOOLED: Antenna scams are everywhere

How can you tell if a scammer is trying to sell you an antenna that read on

Walkie Talkies Are Great for Work or Play!

I loved using walkie talkies when I was a kid. It’s good to see that read on

Can you watch DIRECTV 4K content on a non-4K TV?

Not at this point. The three 4K channels that DIRECTV has (channels read on

Ken Reid and Windows 95

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and read on

The day HBO was hacked

It was thirty years ago. HBO had only been in business for a little read on

Do you need a cell phone signal booster for your business?

It would seem like a waste of money, but that couldn't be further read on

DISH rolls out... smartphone repair?

OK, it's a little curious. DISH today rolled out a smartphone repair read on

New Review: SureCall Fusion4Home Cellular Booster

It's the industrial-strength cellular signal booster for home use. read on

Hot Deals for the Week of May 2, 2016

Take a look... these deals can't be beat! read on

AT&T takes steps toward 5G

One gigabit per second from anywhere. At a time when most Americans read on

Router, modem or switch -- what is it?

When you got internet installed, someone left you with a black box. read on
    by Published on 05-06-2016 10:54 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Misc. Gadgets
    Article Preview

Go to YouTube and do a search for “Russian Dash Cam.” Seriously! Do it now and choose any one of the videos that come up. Now enjoy the chaos!

As a martial arts and self-defense enthusiast, I’m always cruising YouTube for ...
    by Published on 05-05-2016 12:52 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Cell Phones
    Article Preview

File this one under... "we work hard so you don't have to." With the recent rash of commercials for Samsung's latest Galaxy phone, I had to wonder, could you get cell service underwater? If you did, would a cell booster help at all?

Not having the benefit of the latest Galaxy phone, I was able to outfit myself with a used Lifeproof case that a friend of mine was willing to lend ...
    by Published on 05-05-2016 12:44 PM

In Throwback Thursday, we're looking back at the articles we're most proud of from the first eight years of The Solid Signal Blog, and other stuff from the past that we think is cool.

Definitely off topic,, but the other day I ran into this video, which was presumably made for some promotional purpose back in 1934. It's not like I think you all really care about tire manufacturing, but I know that my Solid Signal Blog faithful are always interested in seeing precise machinery in action. If you look at this today, about 75 years later, this looks like pretty boring stuff, but back in the golden age of US manufacturing this was high tech. In fact, I'd lay odds that after the company switched to steel-belted radials, they probably sold the machines you see here to someone in China who's probably still using them. It's a little long and by today's standards it seems like the narrator is barking orders at you, but still it's mesmerizing to watch.

by Published on 05-05-2016 12:43 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas

Televes' antennas are super-powerful and more durable than anything else made today, but that doesn't mean they're easy to assemble. Check out the things you'll need to know in order to assemble the new Televes Yagi BIII VHF antenna, the powerhouse that combines with your existing UHF antenna to give you back the channels you've lost.
    by Published on 05-05-2016 12:05 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite
    Article Preview

OK you have to first agree that as of today, it's a tossup. The amount of 4K content is so small that it really depends on what you want to watch. There's only about six titles on either service and that's not because they don't want more content... it's because more content isn't available.

One thing you ...
    by Published on 05-04-2016 01:36 PM
    Article Preview

I loved using walkie talkies when I was a kid. It’s good to see that these communications devices have improved over the years.

During my pre-teen years, I got caught up in the Cold War hysteria that defined the Reagan Era. ...
    by Published on 05-04-2016 12:40 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas

The new Yagi BIII antenna from Televes gives you back those channels you lost when you moved to a UHF-only antenna. It's more than just an upgrade, it's a super-powered VHF-High antenna that gives you performance that is as good as any antenna out there for VHF-High. Check out the compact packaging in our exclusive unboxing video.
    by Published on 05-04-2016 12:00 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Satellite

Not at this point. The three 4K channels that DIRECTV has (channels 104-106) only work on 4K TVs. This is not a situation like HD where the receiver is able to downsample the picture. You've seen this before if you connect an HD receiver to an SD TV - you get an SD picture and you even have some options for how the picture looks. In the case of 4K, you'll just get a black screen with the message you see above. In most cases, if the program is also available in HD, you'll be able to watch it on another channel, but if it's only available in 4K, you'll need a 4K TV in order to watch it.

It's hard to know why DIRECTV went this route where they happily downsampled the content in the past. It could be that there's some reason hidden in the contract language, It's possible, though not likely, that DIRECTV's DVRs don't have enough "oomph" to create an SD or HD picture from a 4K stream. For whatever reason, they just don't do it. It may be that it really doesn't end up being a big deal, but for now there's no way around it.
    by Published on 05-04-2016 09:24 AM
    Article Preview

Note: The Ken Reid TV Guidance Counselor Podcast is rated PG-13 and may contain mild language.

I'm Ken Reid, a stand up comedian from Boston, MA and a life long television fan. I've been twice nominated as the Best Stand up in Boston and I have been featured on Comedy Central, NPR, Nerdist, ...
    by Published on 05-03-2016 03:18 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. TV Antennas

It's time to think a little differently about how you get over-the-air-antenna service. Rotators are great but they can cause problems if you have more than one TV. Don't use a rotator, use two antennas and a mast amplifier like this one: Televes Two-Input Mast-Mounted Amplifier and Combiner (536040) from Solid Signal to get signal from two locations at once!

Listen to the podcast your way! Just choose one of the following:
    Option 1: Click on the image above to stream the podcast in your browser.
    Option 2 Search iTunes for "Solid Signal" (click here if you have iTunes on this device)
    Option 3: Click here to download the podcast in MP3 format.
    Option 4: Paste the following link into your favorite podcast program:
    forums.solidsignal.com/podcasts/solidsignal.xml

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7