Coming Soon... a new Solid Signal Blog
  • Jake Buckler

by Published on 01-20-2018 03:28 PM
    Article Preview

The Netflix movie to watch is The Mantis. It’s actually a six-episode miniseries that’s the most exciting thing on Netflix streaming right now!

Netflix France is a thing, as far as I’m concerned. Do you remember my piece on The Frozen Dead a couple weeks ago? Well, I’ve stumbled upon another great French program on Netflix. It’s called The Mantis, or La Mante, in French. This thriller explores the topics of serial murder and the dysfunctional family dynamics that often create these killers. Whether you binge-watch it over the course of a weekend or take it nice and slow, you’ll enjoy this amazing and creative Netflix miniseries.

The Mantis: Plot
    As Netflix shows go, The Mantis has a lot to offer. Take it’s rather interesting plot. Jeanne Deber, aka “The Mantis,” is a female serial killer who terrorized France 25 years ago. The police and press nicknamed her “The Mantis” because of how she killed her male victims. (Similar to the way the female praying mantis kills the male after mating. That’s ...
    by Published on 01-13-2018 02:39 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Amazon Prime streaming takes center stage this week! With the releases of some favorite series on the horizon, 2018 could be strong for the streaming service provider.

If you enjoy streaming some of Amazon’s original series, you should be excited about this year. I know that I am. There’s a very good chance we’ll get a second season of one of Amazon Prime’s most-watched series. A dark detective drama is coming back for its fourth and perhaps final series. There’s also the rumor of a second season of a popular courtroom drama, which could air in 2018. Clearly there’s a lot going on, which adds to the excitement of what Amazon Prime streaming has to offer.

Sneaky Pete, Season 2
    Sneaky Pete is back for its second season, but no one knows the exact release date. At best, we have ...
    by Published on 01-11-2018 08:09 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Misc. Gadgets
    Article Preview

I came home from a two-week business trip that felt a lot longer than 14 days. When I finally walked inside my house, my hands were filled with luggage, two weeks of mail, and my keys. All of a sudden, the lights in my living room and my TV set turned on without me having to set anything down to do it. No, this wasn’t a scene from The Jetsons. It was an example of the home automation I have from these new smart plugs I’ve installed in my house.

by Published on 01-06-2018 02:34 PM
    Article Preview

Are you looking to stream a new series in 2018? Try The Frozen Dead, the latest Netflix crime drama available for streaming.

Don’t watch Netflix’s Bright. As Stuart Sweet already pointed out, this highly derivative Will Smith vehicle features a plot that’s easy to predict. The Frozen Dead, on the other ...
    by Published on 01-04-2018 11:17 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Last night (January 3, 2018), DIRECTV NOW crashed, leaving viewers without service well into this morning. AT&T says it’s working to restore its streaming service.

DIRECTV NOW subscribers reported losing their streaming service sometime around 9 PM last night. The crash happened ...
    by Published on 12-30-2017 01:31 PM
    Article Preview

If you want live TV streaming news, you need more than just Stuart Sweet. He wrote me off this week, yet here I am bringing you what to look for in 2018 from the streaming service providers.

While streaming was great in 2017, it will get better next year. Selected improvements include TV streaming technology and more for 2018. Yes, live streaming TV ...
    by Published on 12-29-2017 02:12 PM
    Article Preview

This year in streaming was an exciting one! With so many developments, I want to share a bird’s eye view of streaming services in 2017.

Streaming service providers were busy this year. With each company determined to be the best, it made 2017 a year of improvement and innovation. Solid Signal has watched it all with an interested eye. We’ve also taken not of what worked, what didn’t, and what were the biggest trends. The year in streaming includes: local TV affiliates, original content, and technological improvements… or the lack thereof. All this made for an interesting year in streaming. These trends will help to guide streaming providers in 2018.

Without any further ado, here’s a bird’s eye view of this year’s highlights in streaming:

Amazon Prime Streaming
    Amazon Prime Video didn’t have many announcements this year. What we did hear from the streaming service provider was good. For example, its end-of-year announcement to stream some shows in HDR10+ was big news. This new standard is far superior to HDR10. It's used with shows such as The Grand Tour, The Tick, and The Man in the High Castle. It’s expected to first rollout on Samsung smart TVs.

Fans of Amazon Prime Video’s original content got some good news in April. The streaming service provider plans to spend $4.5 million for new streaming services. This is a bit less than Netflix’s $6 million budget. Amazon plans to acquire the rights to plenty of movies, TV shows, and live events. For example, it streamed 10 Thursday night National Football League games in 2017. Amazon will likely increase the number of live events in its catalog throughout the year.

Editor's Note: Mr. Buckler, never a fan of the walled garden, failed to point out the biggest news: Prime Video finally came to the Apple TV. Now, if Google Play came as well, imagine how cool that would be.

DIRECTV NOW

AT&T ended 2017 announcing that DIRECTV NOW customers with Showtime will get Showtime Anytime. This provides on-demand ...
    by Published on 12-16-2017 03:36 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

A handful of streaming services have announced some improvements in the dwindling days of 2017. Talk about coming in under the wire!

Amazon, DIRECTV NOW, and Hulu know how to go out in style. These three streaming providers recently shared major news. Each already had a strong showing this year. These latest announcements mean that ...
    by Published on 12-09-2017 08:22 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Streaming is all about original content these days, not second-run movies. In 2017, Netflix established itself as king of this brave new world of streaming services.

This year was the most pivotal one for Netflix. It was the year that the streaming giant established itself as the king of original content. HBO held this crown for many years; but these days, Game of Thrones is the only heavy hitter in its stable. When GOT is gone, HBO will be left with some good shows – Ballers, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. – but nothing I’d consider great. Netflix stole that crown this year, and not just because of Stranger Things. The streaming service treated viewers to an amazing selection of original series and ...
    by Published on 12-02-2017 03:55 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Online/MobileTV
    Article Preview

Do you use Hulu to stream your favorite shows and more?
    Here are three new Hulu updates and more for streamers like you!

When it comes to covering streaming services, it’s been said that I neglect Hulu. That’s because perennial grump Stuart Sweet has me convinced that their app is one of the worst ever created. To address my lack of Hulu coverage, here are three recent developments from the green streaming service. Better controls, new shows, and company headquarters are this week’s highlights. There’s also a new list of movies to stream this month. (Hulu’s live TV offerings are too numerous to mention here.) Check out Hulu’s latest news and developments in this week’s Streaming Saturday.

Hulu to Get Alexa Voice Control
    Hulu's services will feature voice control on Amazon Echo and Fire TV devices. Hulu updated its Fire TV apps to support Alexa voice commands on Thursday. Through Fire TV and Echo, users can ask to pause, rewind, and watch programs, for example. This could be a fun, new way to enjoy your favorite TV shows and channels.

Here are some examples of the voice commands Hulu users will be able to use Alexa:

• “Alexa. Go to ESPN, CBS, etc.”
    • “Alexa. Watch Difficult People, Future Man, etc.”

Hulu Strikes Streaming Deal with Disney
    Hulu ...
    by Published on 12-01-2017 11:27 AM
    Article Preview

Did you like season two of Stranger Things? On this Fun Friday, The Solid Signal blog team argues the pros and cons of Netflix’s biggest streaming hit this year, Stranger Things.

Jake Buckler:Let’s get one thing straight, Stuart Sweet and I don’t always see eye to eye. If he likes something, I usually find it a snooze. (His beloved Star Trek, for example.) For his part, Stuart tends to trivialize anything that I think is cool. (He abhors Ozark, which is a clear indication ...
    Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast