Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some antenna suggestions

Looking for some antenna suggestions

Hi Everyone one, I just joined this site today.

First off I know I live in a bad area, but I am trying to cut the cord. I am one channel away from being able to do so.

I attached my tvfool report.

I am trying it with a cheap WA-2608 antenna, that is suppose to be 150 mile and has a built in rotor. I realize that this is more and likely not the best choice, but I wanted to see what I could get without spending a lot of cash for something
    that may not work due to my location.

Ok, I get WPSU (15) pretty much where ever I point the antenna. I could not get WJAC (34) until I installed a 17' mast next to my house and mounted the antenna.
    I then received WJAC (34) on when I pointed it to the correct angle on the TVFool chart. WJAC stays locked in even turning about 20 either way.

OK All is starting to look good. The only other channel I want is WTAJ (32). This is where I am having issues. I added 10 more feet of mast and I locked onto this channel only one time 10 am yesterday morning it had a lot of pixilation and eventually went out all together. I turned and scanned and turned and scanned many times, and never got the lock again. I do not understand this, because this channel is closer than WJAC (34)

So, My question is, would antenna that has more surface area help me? I am really liking what I read on the Televes DAT790LR Mix or one of the 8 element bowties? I know now I do not need a rotor.

Only other down side to a larger antenna is the mast, It is two 10 foot sections 3 feet underground of 1 1/4 threaded conduit and the remainder is only 3/4 pipe because the antenna I have now clamps on over the end of a 1" OD pipe. I have to mount the antenna to the pipe and then very carefully while standing on my roof screw the one inch into a 1 1/4 by 1 reducer.

Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	99 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	939  
    Last edited by Mike De; 03-06-2017 at 08:20 AM.

The Televes unit is one of the most sensitive ones and does really well in UHF as well as VHF. I'm worried that you could lose WPSU if you go to a bowtie, even though it's in the UHF range it's fairly low. But honestly with the stations you're looking to get and the range you're at, it's a crapshoot. You're on the right track but I think the most important thing to know is that you may have to try one or two different antennas before you see what works for you. The Televes is a great choice for those frequencies and has a good strong antenna, so I'd try it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Sweet View Post
    The Televes unit is one of the most sensitive ones and does really well in UHF as well as VHF. I'm worried that you could lose WPSU if you go to a bowtie, even though it's in the UHF range it's fairly low. But honestly with the stations you're looking to get and the range you're at, it's a crapshoot. You're on the right track but I think the most important thing to know is that you may have to try one or two different antennas before you see what works for you. The Televes is a great choice for those frequencies and has a good strong antenna, so I'd try it first.
    Thank you very much Stuart for your reply I was really leaning towards the Televes, and it looks like its on sale now. I am just worried about how I am going to get it on my mast, but that's my issue.
    Am I on the right track about needing a bigger antenna, the beam on this thing is like 12-18 inches. and the width is like 18"

I always prefer a larger antenna to a smaller one; amplification can make up for some of the issues with smaller antennas, but the real key is that it be the right size for your use. The actual "antenna" part of any antenna is often very small, and most of what you see are reflectors and directors which point as much signal as possible toward it. For example, if you were to get the largest antenna we make (which also happens to be the largest consumer antenna made at all), the HD8200U, that wouldn't mean you'd do any better because the large parts on that antenna are designed to pick up VHF-Low frequencies you don't care about.

Do you happen to know how much the Televes weighs? I think I am going to order it. and in your opinion should it do better than the one I am testing?

Their paperwork lists it at 10lb, and I believe it. It's not light. And I think it has an excellent chance of outperforming the antenna you're testing.

What is the difference between the DAT790 LR Mix (149881 and the DAT790 Mix (149841) one is $55 and one is more

Never mind the last question, The one is listed as having a longer range.

Stuart, Thanks for your help selecting the Televes DAT790LR Mix antenna. It arrived yesterday, and I assembled it and placed it on my dining room table just to see what I would get. I received WPSU which I could before inside with the small antenna. It also picked up WJAC from inside which the smaller antenna could not do, in fact the smaller antenna could not pick up WJAC from my deck outside. So this makes me optimistic about getting WTAJ once I get it mounted outside. (may be a while due to a snow storm that rolled in last night) Anyways, I am thinking about getting small cable and making three guide wires to attach to the house to stabilize my mast. so my question is can I attach these cables to the clamps that attach the antenna to the mast? or will this cause some type of interference?

I doubt that additional wires will cause a problem.