Thread: Televes DATBOSS Mix (149483) - Please Help Me Understand

Televes DATBOSS Mix (149483) - Please Help Me Understand

My first post on this forum...

I have been looking at the Televes DATBOSS Mix (149483) , but I'm not sure how to interpret the information I see on the Solid Signal site. The marketing copy contains a graph of the 149183 vs. last year's model which indicates gain values at different frequencies. The text indicates "All gain numbers in real world testing are relative to measurements taken of a bare-wiredipole one meter in length placed in the same location and at the same height as the antenna". This, I believe, indicates raw gain values in dBd. If I interpret the graph correctly, the raw gain ranges from 16 to 24.5 dBd for the channels in which I am interested (real channels 9, 11, 13, 38,39, 48).

Are my interpretations correct? That seems like an enormous amount of raw gain, topping all other antennas that I have researched.

In addition, the brochure indicates considerably higher amplifier gain, which I assume are added to the non-amplified gain, reaching the indicated numbers. However, the amplified gain is measured in dBi, which is confusing to me. And finally, the amplified gain numbers are considerably flatter than the raw gain numbers. What does this mean?

Thank You,

Jim

Here's what I did. I measured a length of bare wire at those frequencies. I then measured both antennas at the same frequencies, both amplified and unamplified. The difference between bare wire and antenna is the number on the chart.

As for the flatness of the amplification, that is due to the auto gain control, which tends to have a flattening effect once you get up to a signal level that exceeds what is generally considered usable.

Thanks for the response.

I am exceedingly lucky in my location, as all of the channels that I care about - listed above - are within a 12-degree spread, magnetic 230 to 242 degrees, ranging in distance from 8 to 32 miles. I have reasonable nm readings, from 18 to 43 dB. I also have a LOS signal, nm 57dB, at 129 degrees magnetic, which can be picked up by bare coax.

I do not see any front-to-back values for the Televes, so not sure of the ability of the antenna to reject out-of-beam signals. With a flamethrower of a signal coming in over my left shoulder (relatively speaking), will the auto-gain adjustment of the antenna be able to compensate without overloading and losing the more desirable signals?

I will ask the Televés Rep in the morning about front o back ratio. As for the AGC I can't make promises but it is quite good and quite smart.

The factory in Spain forwarded these numbers:

>15dB HighVHF
    >20dB UHF

Thank you. Those values are somewhat better than what I have with my current antenna, although I don't have as much raw gain there as the Televes advertises...

Honestly, I'll tell you that if I hadn't measured those numbers myself I wouldn't have believed them. It's just a matter of good engineering I guess.

Finally got this information. Front to Back ratio is greater than 15dB on VHF, greater than 20dB on UHF.