Suggest a topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR34 Genie Q&A

HR34 Genie Q&A

There have been a lot of misconceptions about the HR34 Genie HD DVR so I thought a simple Q&A might be worth it:

How many programs can be recorded with a Genie DVR?
    The Genie DVR can record 5 programs at the same time.

Can I watch live TV while 5 programs are recording?
    Like any other DVR if it is using all its tuners to record, you can watch something you've recorded, but you can't watch live TV.

How many Genie Clients can I have?
    You can have up to 8 Genie Clients but only 3 can be used at the same time. If you try to use a 4th, you will get a message on screen.

Can I watch Live TV on a Genie Client while recording 5 things?
    You can watch one of the programs being recorded. If you try to tune to another channel you will get a message asking you to cancel a recording.

Can I watch something recorded while 5 things are recording?
    Yes, you can do that on the Genie HD DVR and also on the Genie Client.

How many Genie HD DVRs can I have?
    Right now DIRECTV only allows one Genie HD DVR on your account.

Can I have other DVRs in my house?
    Yes. You can have as many as you want, but you can only share programming between 8 devices.

Can I share programming between my Genie DVR and my HR24 DVR?
    The Genie DVR and HR24 DVR can see each other and share programs. The Genie client can also watch programs recorded on an older HD DVR.

Do I need a Genie DVR if I have a Genie Client?
    Yes, the Genie Client will not work without a Genie DVR.

Can I pause live TV on a Genie Client?
    Yes.

Can I schedule recordings on a Genie Client?/
    Yes.

Can I watch programs from a Genie DVR on an H25 or other HD receiver?
    Yes.

Does the Genie system require the $3.00 per month whole home charge?
    Yes.

Do I need a Genie Client for every TV or can I use one client for multiple TVs?
    It's just like a DIRECTV receiver. Each TV needs its own client.
    SolidSignal.com // 25225 Regency Drive // Novi, MI 48375 // 1.877.312.4547

Formerly known as SS@SolidSignal

Great resource for prospective Genie DVR owners. One of the most amazing aspects of the Genie DVR whole home system is the ability to add more tuners and storage to your whole home system with additional DVR's. With three DVR's I have 2 terabytes of recording storage and 9 active tuners. With the 9 tuners I can balance my hard drive utilization accordingly between each DVR. I don't know DirecTV's policy on this matter but I was able to get my latest "Refer-a-Friend a Genie DVR for $99 ( is now free) and an HR24 DVR at no extra cost. He has a big family (5 room) and I figured he needed more tuners and storage.

im having difficulty finding more info on the start over feature. supposedly if u tune to a channel part of the way through the program u can start it over. so it says on directv.com anyway..
    http://www.directv.com/technology/ge...-1&lpos=header

It is only enabled on a few channels depending on what you are watching. You will see an on screen display telling you to << to start over. I think it will be available on more channels in the future.
    SolidSignal.com // 25225 Regency Drive // Novi, MI 48375 // 1.877.312.4547

Formerly known as SS@SolidSignal

Hey guys wassup? As you can tell I'm new on this forums, and I would like to thanks SS for posting information brief understanding of the Genie. I never own a DVR but that will change since this Saturday I am going to have the Genie install so looking forward to it, hopefully I won't be disappoint don't think I will though

Can some one confirm that with the new Genie receiver and the AM21 that only two OTA channels can be accessed (watched / recorded or combination) at the same time? I have signed up for new service that is supposed to be installed Nov. 3rd. I have contacted Directv regarding the AM21 and its capabilities. I have had 3 people respond via emails and phone conversations, from DirecTv, claiming that it will record 5 OTA broadcasts at the same time. The only reason this matters to me is that I am not offered locals through DirecTv and would rely on the AM21 to provide multiple channels. I have 3 shows that come on at the same time on Monday night and would like to be able to record them. If AM21 will not do this for me, any other receiver or configuration suggestions would be much appreciated.

SS@SolidSignal - Today, 04:32 PM Edit Reply
    It will not record 5 OTA broadcasts at the same time. It will record 5 things at the same time but only 2 of them can be OTA. TO record a third channel via OTA you would need to add another DVR and another AM21.

Which second DVR should I consider in order to have the whole home DVR experience? I would want to be able to access both DVR's from any room on all receivers.

The HR24 DVR would be a good second choice. Right now there are some issues with sharing between an HR24 and a Genie Client but they are expected to get fixed in the next week or two.

i have a question, i currently swm 8 with a HR/dvr with 4 other hd recievers. i was thinking about keeping hd/dvr adding the genie and 3 rvu units. i assume i would need a swm 16? another reason to keep the hd/dvr is because i have a lot of stuff saved on my dvr. is there any way to get the dvr stuff on the genie and get ride of the hd/dvr and replace with another rvu unit?