Suggest a topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The easy guide to installing a DIRECTV AM21 Antenna Module

The easy guide to installing a DIRECTV AM21 Antenna Module

Why are you settling for the six or seven local channels you can get from DIRECTV? In many markets there are dozens of channels of FREE TV! You may already have an antenna hooked up but did you know you can feed those local channels right into your DIRECTV DVR and record them? All you need is the DIRECTV AM21 antenna module. The AM21 isn't new technology... in fact it's been out for years. However, with the recent craze to "cut the cord" many people are rediscovering antenna television.

Let's take a look at the easy way to connect a DIRECTV AM21.

The first step is unplugging your existing DIRECTV receiver. Every current DIRECTV receiver except the H25 and HR44 Genie uses the same power plug. Unplug the DIRECTV receiver and (except for H25 and HR44) connect the power cable to the AM21 instead.

Then, take the supplied USB cable and connect it between the AM21 and the receiver's USB port in the back.

Finally, connect the power plug attached to the AM21 to your receiver (except H25 and HR44.) This way you don't need an extra plug for the AM21. If you have an H25 or HR44 receiver, you can plug it into its regular power adapter. You will need a power cord for the AM21, which should be included in the box.

When the receiver boots up, it should display a message saying "Off-Air adapter found" and you will go into a menu where you can set up to two zip codes to search. If you move, going into the Settings menu ({MENU}, Settings&Help, Settings, Satellite & Ant) will let you change these ZIP codes.

The new channels will appear in your guide. If you use a custom favorites list, you will have to add them manually. Off-air channels will be identified with a dash (such as 2-1 instead of just 2) and you can schedule recordings and pause live TV with them just as if they were satellite-delivered channels.

The AM21 attached to a Genie DVR will allow up to two Genie Clients to get off-air programming as well.
    SolidSignal.com // 25225 Regency Drive // Novi, MI 48375 // 1.877.312.4547

Formerly known as SS@SolidSignal

will this take over one of the sat tuners? since its coming from a different source will the hdvr be able to record one thing from the am21 and one show from the sat feed and be able to use the second sat tuner to browse the channels?

You can record up to two things at the same time on HR24 and up to five things at the same time on Genie. It can be up to two over the air programs, and if you have a Genie three more from satellite.

Can some one confirm that with the new Genie receiver and the AM21 that only two OTA channels can be accessed (watched / recorded or combination) at the same time? I have signed up for new service that is supposed to be installed Nov. 3rd. I have contacted Directv regarding the AM21 and its capabilities. I have had 3 people respond via emails and phone conversations, from DirecTv, claiming that it will record 5 OTA broadcasts at the same time. The only reason this matters to me is that I am not offered locals through DirecTv and would rely on the AM21 to provide multiple channels. I have 3 shows that come on at the same time on Monday night and would like to be able to record them. If AM21 will not do this for me, any other receiver or configuration suggestions would be much appreciated.

It will not record 5 OTA broadcasts at the same time. It will record 5 things at the same time but only 2 of them can be OTA. TO record a third channel via OTA you would need to add another DVR and another AM21.

I think the AM21 is one of the best features that DIRECTV offers, I can get an entire set of HD locals from another market and have it all incorporated into my guide. It works great for football season!
    -Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott K. View Post
    I think the AM21 is one of the best features that DIRECTV offers, I can get an entire set of HD locals from another market and have it all incorporated into my guide. It works great for football season!

I agree with Scott K. I have a few AM21 and N models. They perform great and I can get a number of out of market stations.

I bought 2 AM21's and installed them on my Directv Tv HDDVR's. I ran the correct process and able to pick pick up a few digital sub channels on my Directv guides but not all of them. I know I can receive the rest of the digital sub channels on my ota antenna by going right into the tv. Am I doing something wrong or is their a problem. I am in Louisville, Kentucky. Thank You for any help

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREW ROTHMAN View Post
    I bought 2 AM21's and installed them on my Directv Tv HDDVR's. I ran the correct process and able to pick pick up a few digital sub channels on my Directv guides but not all of them. I know I can receive the rest of the digital sub channels on my ota antenna by going right into the tv. Am I doing something wrong or is their a problem. I am in Louisville, Kentucky. Thank You for any help
    If you're connecting the AM-21 to a HR21-24, the channels come from a database. If a channel or sub-channel isn't in the database, the 21 doesn't look for it.
    Connecting a AM21 to a Genie seems to scan for channels like your TV does, so you'll find more.

Just a note, If you don't get the message "off-air adapter found" you can still go into {MENU}, Settings and Help, Settings, Sat and Antenna and set up from there.