Suggest a topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antennas Direct - Which to choose?

Antennas Direct - Which to choose?

I'm planning to mount the antenna in my attic - I'm 42 miles from the farthest transmitter - most are in the 30-40 mile range. All channels are in UHF, with the exception of NBC, which is in VHF-Hi channel 11.

I've come across two flavors of Antennas Direct that are in my price range (~$80 shipped or less): the Clearstream 4 and Clearstream C2. At face value, it seems like the 4 is just a doubling of the C2.

Is it the case that more is better? I've read reviews that say these antennas do not pick up the UHF-Lo/Hi channels. Any other comments, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I see you've got a typo as you meant VHF-Lo/Hi, which with the dipole shown here they pick up VHF Hi:
    Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream2 Outdoor Digital HD TV Antenna With Dipole And CJ Mount (C2-V-CJM ) from Solid Signal

At that range I'm tempted to recommend the c4, as it will pick up more signal than the c2. The only question is whether or not you need VHF... And if you let us know where you are located it will be easy to tell.
    SolidSignal.com SignalMarine.com // 25225 Regency Drive // Novi, MI 48375 // 1.877.312.4547

I'm new to the antenna realm. What exactly is dipole? I'm guessing it has support for VHF and UHF, hence DI pole?

My zip code is 32935. Solid Signal lists the C4 as the #1 recommendation, but does not even list the C2.

A zip code of 32935 returns this: TV Fool

Mounting an antenna in the attic means the roof material will affect the signals.

It looks like WESH-DT 11 (2.1) NBC might be a problem.
    The in the C2 image are two "rods" pointing out at the top of it. This is a dipole for VHF-Hi band and is much like a pair of rabbit ears.
    It's a bit questionable if the dipole will be enough for WESH-DT.

This might be a better choice: AntennaCraft 33 Element UHF / High-Band VHF Outdoor HDTV Antenna (HBU33) from Solid Signal

I have to agree with VOS here. You might need a bit more antenna.
    SolidSignal.com SignalMarine.com // 25225 Regency Drive // Novi, MI 48375 // 1.877.312.4547

Thanks for the help - The AntennaCraft you recommended is 80" - That's a bit long for the position I have picked out in the attic. On a side note, does it matter if an antenna is labeled as "outdoor"?

So what this seems to boil down to is - The C2 and the C4 will likely pick up the same channels in UHF, but the C2, since it's a dipole, MIGHT be able to pick up WESH-DT, which is the only channel in my area in VHF anyway.

I think the c4 will do better for UHF and the c2v will do better for VHF. Note that there is a difference between the Clearstream 2 and the Clearstream 2V -- only the 2V will pick up VHF.

An outdoor antenna is weatherproofed and will work indoors though perhaps not as well. But it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_mac01 View Post
    Thanks for the help - The AntennaCraft you recommended is 80" - That's a bit long for the position I have picked out in the attic. On a side note, does it matter if an antenna is labeled as "outdoor"?

So what this seems to boil down to is - The C2 and the C4 will likely pick up the same channels in UHF, but the C2, since it's a dipole, MIGHT be able to pick up WESH-DT, which is the only channel in my area in VHF anyway.
    If WESH-DT isn't important, then the C4 or C2, but if it is, I doubt the dipole on the Clearstream 2V will be satisfactory.
    This dipole isn't much more than a pair of rabbit ears, and my own experience with a VHF-hi channel at the same levels as WESH-DT is for you, with rabbit ears, is marginal.