Suggest a topic

Thread: Can I watch my directv without a receiver?

Can I watch my directv without a receiver?

Do I have to have a directv receiver at every tv or can I just hook it up like my cable used to be hooked up and change the channel? I'm not sure if it will work because my tv only goes to like channel 112 or something.

You need a DirecTV receiver at each TV. The possible exception is to run two TV's off one receiver, but they must both watch the same thing at the same time. Also there are challenges doing that if they are HD as opposed to SD.

You absolutely cannot just plug the coax from the dish into a TV and tune the channels. That won't work at all.

Good info Carl6, thanks!

Babalu will be able to do something like this someday with the HR34 and the newest Samsung Tv's. It's possible now but I hear it doesn't work very well yet. When you HR34 arrives it will be Rvu capable and certain Samsung Tv's will work as a client but you still will not be able to run the coax right in to the Tv, it will work over your home network. I don't have a Samsung Tv but I'm sure someone will chime in exactly how it works.
    -Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Carl6 View Post
    You need a DirecTV receiver at each TV. The possible exception is to run two TV's off one receiver, but they must both watch the same thing at the same time. Also there are challenges doing that if they are HD as opposed to SD.

You absolutely cannot just plug the coax from the dish into a TV and tune the channels. That won't work at all.

Thanks Carl6! I glad I didn't try, it sound like I would have caused trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott K. View Post
    Good info Carl6, thanks!

Babalu will be able to do something like this someday with the HR34 and the newest Samsung Tv's. It's possible now but I hear it doesn't work very well yet. When you HR34 arrives it will be Rvu capable and certain Samsung Tv's will work as a client but you still will not be able to run the coax right in to the Tv, it will work over your home network. I don't have a Samsung Tv but I'm sure someone will chime in exactly how it works.
    I'm a little confused about the whole client thingy, I will keep checking for more info on that.

I was at some guys house and he had one of those samsung tvs. It worked ok but the menus kept getting dark.

DirecTV now offers the HR34 Home Media Center, which will work with RVU clients (including some models of Samsung TV). That is in fact a way you can have a TV working from DirecTV without a receiver at the TV. But it still must be fed from the HR34 via ethernet (network wiring), and there is a recurring monthly cost for each active client (tv).

The clients are currently a work in progress if you ask me. I think the bugs will be worked out with the Samsung Tv's as clients as soon as DIRECTV is confident enough to release their own client. I don't think the average person is going to run out and buy a tv just for this purpose so DIRECTV will have to come up with a client of their own.
    -Scott

Won't they make a wireless one like AT&T? It would be the best.

oh that would be sweet